Tuesday, June 21, 2011

'How to' commute with kids

For the past few weeks, I have been waking my two little dear children up at the crack of dawn to get into the car and drive for 75 minutes to one of their favorite places... day care.

And at the end of the day, I put them back into their car seats after a day of fun, juice, pretzels and Princess Bella (Belle) and we drive 60 minutes home.

These girls are the best! Out of the last few weeks, we've had tough morning and that was today. Pretty good, don't you think?

Well, since I'm full of tips.. here are some for commuting with kids:

1. Have a bag full of snacks. Snacks must include juice, water, crackers, pretzels, fruit snacks, etc.

2. Save the fruit snacks for the end of the commute on the way home. And pack double than one serving, and an extra for you (the driver).

3. Borrow/buy/rent music CDs for the kids. Play these CDs once they get bored or fussy. These CDs need to be music, not storytelling. At least those kind put me (the driver) to sleep.

4. Buy some patience.

5. Take note and point out all of the cool stuff along the way. Like cows, planes, windmills, barns, big trucks, motorcycles that are loud.

6. Make sure to have a potty break before you get into the car.

7. Make sure your end stop is a beautiful home that they kids love and are excited about! Makes it much easier.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you have itunes, but you can rent lots of song CD's from the library for free... then I add them to my itues library and either put them on a CD for the car or onto my ipod...

    ReplyDelete