Tuesday, November 6, 2012

'Lucy in the sky with diamonds'

Our sweet black lab, Lucy, lost her fun, youthful, playful, tennis ball fetching, bone chewing, life a week and a half ago.

The cancer got her. The tumor in her neck regrew itself around her.

But she was happy til the morning we had to say good-bye. Her tail still tapped happily on the floor. Her eyes were still full of love.

That girl, in true Lucy fashion, wouldn't put her head down in my lap until all of her "crackers and escargo" (liver treats dipped in wet puppy food) from the vet were gone.

I miss her like crazy. It's silly to say you miss a dog. But I do. She was my first baby. She was my dog. She was my best friend. And she was by my side through everything in the last 8 1/2 years. New jobs, getting engaged, graduating from college, married, two babies, new house, etc. And through the tough, hard times. She was right by my side. And that's what is tough... I had to say good bye to someone that just loved.

She was the best. Everyone has their own best, but she was the best. Everyone loved her and she loved them.

Enjoy all that heaven is, Lucy. Running, fetching until you can't, treats, biscuits, everything. Because you deserve it.


7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so sad when our pets die, they are truly parts of our family aren't they? Hope the girls are doing ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so, so sorry. Dogs are the best friends and it sure hurts to see them go....
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amory I'm so sorry to hear this! Don't feel bad about missing a dog. They are very meaningful to our lives. Hope things can be normal again for you soon. Lots of love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your page and now I am sitting here blubbering and crying. I too lost my 14 year old Chelsy girl this ast June due to a neurological disorder that came on spontaneously. We had to put her down, and I laid on the ground with her until she slept forever. I completely understand your pain. She was my everything for 14 years, and we went through bad breakups, college, moves, getting engaged and married, babies, deployments and more together. I loved her longer than my own husband. And I miss her terribly still.
    I still catch myself calling for her, or looking for her. I cry still grieving her.
    I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ALL for the thoughtful comments you left. I read them quite often.

    Janell.. I'm so sorry for your loss. You know exactly how I'm feeling. We just got a new puppy, who looks just like Lucy, but it is not the same. Even with the puppy breath and nibbles, I still miss and cry for her. Have you heard of Rainbow Bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes. I cry every darn time I read it.

    ReplyDelete